FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:44 am
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
"Subject to availability" is pretty broad. Is it like a mall parking lot where is genuinely shocked if you cant find a spot? ("Once in a blue moon" was the statement, I believe?) Or is it more like a lottery ticket?

It's also not what I expect Amex to lead off with, especially as "world-leading customer service" is part of their brand image. They could have said "We understand crowding is an issue, particularly at SFO at peak times. Because of this, we are adjusting our access policies, such as limiting it to 3 hours before flight departure for originating passengers. We're very sorry that we were unable to accommodate you on your recent visit, and feedback from valued cardmembers like yourself that helps us inform these changes". That would have cost them exactly zero, and it would have left a far better taste in my mouth than saying that technically, they don't have to provide anything at all.

In the words of Ted Knight, "you'll get nothing - and like it!"
Well there IS another option. The policy could be that if the SFO lounge for example fills up completely (to the point where people are walking around unable to get a seat), then Amex would give you the OPTION of either being admitted to the Centurion and possibly having to take a while to get a seat, OR marking your account for reimbursement of a day pass to the United Club, so long as you use the Platinum card to pay for access. This accomplishes two things. For people going somewhere to sit down and relax, well, they get a place that they can actually sit down and relax (let's be honest, nobody goes to the United Club for food, and the only reason one would choose the United Club over the Centurion is for relaxation space). And it also incentivizes Amex to make sure that this situation really only happens once in a blue moon, because it's quite expensive.