FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit card survey
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:29 am
GoAmtrak

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Redemption value is fairly solid, weakness is on the earn side. I only use the card for Plastiq bill payments for which AmEx or Visa are excluded and only MC is allowed.

Amtrak spend should earn at least 3x, not 2x. Until that changes, I’ll always use CSR when booking Amtrak.

The December 3x promo on all spend was effective in getting the AGR card out of my sock drawer. Adding some year-round 2x categories might help tip the scales where I otherwise would have used AmEx BBP.

In terms of perks, just as with AGR itself, it’s tough to cater to anyone outside of the NEC/Acela base. On-board food & beverage discounts and/or comps would be nice, and probably the most nationally accessible. Perhaps offer more regular lounge passes.

Not sure if there’s much of a market for a premium card. I could envision a $500+ AF card that comes with S+ status and supercharged earning, though that might devalue upgrades and worsen lounge crowding if it’s popular. But Select is too weak to be compelling as a card perk and some of the bennies are already included in the existing cards.

Last edited by GoAmtrak; Feb 2, 2019 at 8:38 am