FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:18 am
BThumme

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
UA703 this morning. Equipment change. Got an email about the change. Agent initially suggested $350, I counteroffered $700 for a later EWR-LAX-SFO with everything in J. After a minute she responded with a phrase that ‘It went faster than expected.’ Do you think I lowballed too much and should have asked for $1k at the minimum? It was a 767-400 downgauged to 752. Tbh I actually suspected that last night coz I saw flight status showed 764 but reservation showed 752.

Last time I VDBed a ORD-YYZ for $800 and overnight at the hotel. 764 to 752 down gauge would mean at the minimum it’s oversold by 10

I don't think you lowballed. In fact it just goes to show how low UA really wants to start. I've had bad luck - in December I was on SFO-IAH, they needed three volunteers and were offering $300. I asked for 1k and they said they would keep that in mind and pretty much put me aside. Then 400, then 500, and I'm not sure if they ever got past that. I don't think it's low, especially since you got J on EWR-LAX. Doing that in Y, $750 might have been on the lower end for me (although I still would have taken it).

If you were in Y originally, then I think it's a great deal.