FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:45 am
mehitabel

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Depending on what you mean by departure, that is a bit of an oversimplification. Once the GA closes the flight, I believe you can not be removed from the flights -- but you should be boarded by that time.

So, a better phrasing would be as long as boarding is occurring, you are OK. Note the GA can cancel your reservation at T-15 (domestic) if you are not boarded. However, the GA may hold off VDB until after T-15, so you may have to make a decision before VDB is confirmed.
Thanks, that's a useful distinction. In this case, I first checked with the GA, who confirmed my bid. Soon after she asked for additional volunteers, which seemed auspicious. I was a little nervous as the clock ticked toward departure, but in the end three VDBs were issued at just about T-15. I came home with a $750 voucher (I low-balled) and a re-booking tomorrow. FWIW, I was prepared to fly tonight, but my schedule had changed so I no longer needed a morning arrival, and I'm much happier avoiding the red-eye.