FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Italy logistics/accomodation with a 4-year old and luggage
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:52 am
Agneisse

Originally Posted by Ryu2
I have a 1 month paid sabbatical and we plan to spend part of it in Italy. This is our first time visiting there, and we plan to spend around 2 weeks there (hope to hit Rome, Florence/Tuscany area, maybe Amalfi Coast).

My wife and I are seasoned travellers (before we had kids) -- mostly around Asia, and our son has been to Singapore/Mexico/around the USA, but we expect Europe will be crowded w/ more walking.

We're right now looking at 3 large checked bags, and a carry-on. Is this a crazy idea? Will taking the train be impossible? Alternatively has anyone tried it with a rental car to drive between cities or use a private tour/driver?

Also -- any accommodation recs? We have a huge stash of Marriott points so are partial to their hotels/resorts. But authentic local accommodations like agriturismi in Tuscany would be cool as well, as long as they're toddler friendly.

Thanks in advance!
This is crazy. Definitely cut down on the amount of bags.

Think about it there are two adults, so four hands, which will be completely occupied by the four bags. And on top of that, your child is just at that age where they're mobile (can walk) but requires constant supervision (can't be trusted to find their way back if they wander off). Not to mention steps, boarding and alighting from trains, reaching for tickets/wallet inside your handbag, etc.

If this doesn't discourage you - go for a practice run this weekend where you currently live. Bring around the child and four empty suitcases...And then imagine doing that in a foreign land with the suitcases full.

A rental car is okay for intercity transport but cities are a pain to drive in, so you will still have a lot of hassle with loading/unloading and searching for parking in Rome and Florence.