FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:22 pm
LLKA

Question Chase World of Hyatt Charges me as a quasi-cash transaction

Weird thing happens to me. In order to get the new account bonus, I pay to my landlord (a person, not a merchant) the rent for a month using my World of Hyatt CC. As the Plastiq and all the DP said, it firstly charges me the CA limit then post as a normal purchase. Two days later, the check is sent, this transaction is posted as a "Sale" with a category "Personal" with the point exact the same amount it should be if this is a normal goods or service purchase. The CA limit also returns to full.
Then the weird thing happens. It is my first time to pay through Plastiq, so I sent an SM to Chase to double check the post is doing the right thing I want it to. But the SM told me that transaction is categorized as a "Quasi-Cash Transaction", which will be the similar interest rate or terms as Cash Advance, and will not be regarded into my spending requirement for the new account bonus.

It is weird, since the post record there is a sale with the point, according to World of Hyatt term, this activity must not be a cash-like transaction (All cash-like transaction will not get any points), meanwhile, my CA limit also returns to full. If the "Quasi Cash Transaction" does not appear anywhere, it is very dangerous. Since Chase won't tell you they charge the cash advance fee to a transaction, which is not shown as a cash-like transaction (but it is).
So how to explain the contradiction between the post and Chase SM? Or Chase is totally mistaken by how the purchase is done? Do I have any chances to change the category to the one which is regarded as spending to finish the open card mission? The only point makes me different may be that I pay to a person, not a merchant.

Last edited by LLKA; Jan 31, 2019 at 3:11 pm