FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Not using outbound flight even if checked in?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:43 am
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I have always wondered why it is that people cannot just accept the terms and conditions of the ticket they bought (and accepted when doing the transaction).
Could it be because airlines use their disproportionate market power to impose on passengers unfair terms and conditions? I would not want to engage in the shady practices that colin recommends but it seems to me that there is a serious argument to be run that the automatic cancellation of a return flight when the outbound is not flown constitutes an unfair contract term, which may be invalid under the Consumers Rights Act 2015.
If a company like BA or any other did the same to you, you would no doubt be raging on about it on forums like this and complaining to BA like there was no tomorrow...
Well, let me know next time that you approach BA and they agree to modify their terms and conditions to offer you a bespoke transportation contract. You are comparing apples and oranges. Consumers have no choice but to accept the terms unilaterally imposed on them by airlines. If those terms are unfair, it is entirely appropriate to question them.