FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:25 am
Pureboy

I had a chance to try the Komagatake 2018 Limited Edition (Bourbon Barrel & American Oak Cask) at a tasting in November. It smelled very young (distiller said it was matured 3 years) and was pretty dry on the palate with a long semi sweet finish. If the other Komagatake releases taste this young, I wouldn't waste ~$80 on it unless you just wanted it to show you got something unique from Japan. I can think of many, many whiskeys widely available in the U.S. that I'd rather spend that kind of money on.

Another thing to note about Japanese Whiskey is that unlike Bourbon in the U.S. and Scotch in, well, Scotland, there are practically no standards on labeling and sourcing. "Japanese Whiskey" can be sourced from anywhere and blended in Japan and still can be considered as such. See #4 in this article. I'm not saying there isn't great Japanese whiskey to be had, just buyer beware- country of origin in this case doesn't connote quality. As old stocks continue to be depleted, distilleries around the world are releasing more NAS (No Age Statement) releases and some Japan-based companies are more deceptive about sourcing in labeling.