FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deaf couple and discrimination at DTW...thoughts?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:40 am
MrAndy1369

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
@MrAndy1369, as you are a deaf FF, do you agree with this statement by the two?
Yes, unfortunately, I do. I've personally known many deaf friends of mine who has been discriminated against, not communicated with clearly, etc. at the airport and on board. To be fair, I've also known of many who got excellent and attentive treatment. It goes both ways. It's kind of hard to explain the perception of being discriminated against to people who aren't deaf, as they aren't in our shoes, but it's often subtle. Little things such as not being given a paper/pen initially, annoyed looks when we explain we can't hear, simplified answers from staff who would probably normally explain things in detail, or missing details. I've experienced treatment like that on all ends of the spectrum myself. This is not only on DL, not only on all airlines, but applies to life in general.

I do think the couple weren't trying to be entitled - they did explain that they understood the plane was full, they were just trying to clarify that information with the GA and see if they could help find someone who would volunteer to swap seats. They were trying to follow through communications with the GA, and probably did not know the nuances of asking the FA to do it opposed to the GA. They also probably felt that the announcement would be made, but not translate to them, so they wanted to follow through. They also probably felt better sitting together, as a couple and for communication reasons.

As for the GA/them alleging the pushing... I can't comment on that as video of that wasn't shared. I can see it probably happening as Socorro trying to get the crumpled paper from the trash bin, and the GA physically blocking her from entering the podium. As things were getting heated, it's possible things happened during the heat of the moment that caused misunderstandings.

I mean, yes, the plane was full, not really much the GA would have done. However, from a deaf person's perspective, the GA could have been more thorough with communicating, and let them finish and have their say, and perhaps explain a bit more that the plane was full and that there really was nothing she could do. I think the couple felt that they were cut off, communication-wise, without closure -- a hearing person can easily continue to speak and get the "closure" they need, if that makes sense.

Again, I can see both sides, really -- but I wanted to share this coming from a deaf perspective.