FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deaf couple and discrimination at DTW...thoughts?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:27 am
samwise6222

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How did they want the GA to phrase the request for volunteers to change seats? A couple would like to sit together, so would someone like to take a middle seat? or There are two deaf adults on this flight and because they're deaf, they need to sit together, so who wants to take their middle seat?

I thought the main point is:

Couples allege that the GA refused to communicate with them over paper. Everything beyond that is secondary.
OTOH, Delta says that I tried to help as much as they can.

From the video & Delta's PR, the timeline, at least to me, looks like

1. Couples went up to GA to ask her to see if she can sit them together - and started writing what they wanted to say on their iPhone

2. (Couple's version). GA wrote "We tried, but no" on the paper and threw the paper in the trash can. They tried to follow up by reaching for that paper.
2. (Delta version). GA wrote "We tried, but no" and thinking that she was done, threw paper in the trash can.

3. ???
4. Couples reached for the paper the GA threw in the trash bin. GA alleges that they pushed her.
5. Delta kicked the couple off the flight.

Last edited by samwise6222; Jan 30, 2019 at 8:47 am