FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:11 am
AnaTravel

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
One thing that I would say is that this, whilst not modern, is far more widespread than it used to be. I asked about the Risotto (and thank you to the kind person for their comment - and yes I too use vegetable stock). I have learned much in this thread, I agree that it should be done properly or not at all. Whilst with matters gastronomic, it is impossible to please everyone, one should at least try to please as many as possible.

In days gone by, Vegetarianism was considered to be the realm of cranks who probably ran around stark naked at home. No one knew or cared and passed it off as being faddishin some way. Not anymore. For reasons that we do not understand properly, so many people have allergies and in tolerances to common every day foods. People have all sorts of reasons why they adopt different diets and an organisation such as BA should respond accordingly. I hope that I make myself clear. I have one or two friends who I like to come to dinner and they are vegan. I need to have a menu that will accommodate them and everyone else sitting at the table. I have made bloomers in the past, using Worcester Sauce in something or other only to discover that as it contains anchovies it could not be used (I have to say that I found out after the event and I did tell them when I did find out (by accident) as I was afraid that it might have made them ill.!

So to return to topic, that meal posted by the OP looks like it was dreamed up by some aspirant 15 year old in the old O level days at some Swiss Finishing School, certain in the knowledge that she would never be doing this professionally or at all if she married rich enough.

I was most interested to read how much weight had been lost, and indeed how much better you both feel. That is the first time that I have heard this - thank you.

Has anyone answered my query about wine and gin? I need to know what I can give them to drink!
Pucci Galore, this is such a great post for many reasons. Understanding the needs of various dietary requirements can take time. It's easy to make mistakes and even vegetarians/vegans get it wrong sometimes. When I first became a vegetarian I simply wanted to avoid eating meat and fish. I was a child in a meat eating family - without the access to Google search - or the instant online knowledge that there is today. Your friends are lucky to have such a thoughtful and generous host. Here is a link where you can check the vegan friendliness of over 43,000 beer wine and liqueur products
​​​​​​
Barnivore: your vegan wine, beer, and liquor guide
Gin or distilled spirits are easier than wine to find.

Your point on British Airways responding according to customer requirements gets to the heart of the matter. BA offers fine dining for vegans and should deliver it. CC should also have appropriate training and not left to wing it or cobble together something (rather than nothing) for the passenger. British Airways has gotten away with this for too long. They promise fine dining in the sky for vegans. A fine dining restaurant on the ground would deliver on that promise or not offer the option. Lastly, it is disappointing when BA ignores lacto-ovo selections and delivers a vegan meals as a 'lowest common denominator' option.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Jan 30, 2019 at 8:21 am