FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Same-day earlier flight change possible for OWE?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:31 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
No the latter was an earlier flight (not mine) was late arriving at BKK and thus was still there and had not left. I checked in for my on time flight which was scheduled later and they asked if I'd prefer to go now as the earlier flight was finally leaving and I had time to take it instead. They suggested it and I said sure.

And it was about 18 months ago. The other was less than 3 years ago which was just a case of asking because I was early at BKK and with fast track you don't need more than 15 minutes to exit after check-in.

My last flight ex-BKK was in November 2018 and while there was a flight an hour earlier than mine it was full in J. The agent said he'd have been happy to change it but the earlier flight was sold out in J, and it was only an hour, which was well spent in the nice BKK lounge.

Never did "no" as a policy, change fees or fare differentials come up, and none were situations with IRROPS on my flights.
That is surprising and an unusual experience. Check-in agents at oustations are not given that latitude and have to do what their system ask them (pay the change fee). Only supervisor can override. But there are operational reasons when all check-in agents are instructed to show flexibility 1) in a day with irrops on that route (not necessarily on your flight), 2) when your own flight is fully, or near fully booked.