FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deaf couple and discrimination at DTW...thoughts?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:33 pm
MrAndy1369

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Deaf couple and discrimination at DTW...thoughts?

What are your thoughts on this?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...rZACtshkBJncsE

Full disclosure: being deaf myself, I can understand both sides. I've been on the receiving end of discrimination and not being communicated with, or even having my attempts to communicate (write) oppressed. I've also been assigned a wheelchair by DL and AA many times, despite not requesting one (another common problem in the deaf community). I can definitely understand their plight. I also personally know Melissa, although not exactly on a personal/friendship level, and she is a kind, considerate person. I do not know the other person, Socorro.

With that said, going behind the podium to get the crumpled paper might not have been the smartest move, although it may have been done with the mindset of a "Kettle" (not knowing the boundaries between GA and passenger). FWIW, I've been invited to go behind the podium and type back and forth with some GA's on different airlines, to facilitate communication, but I went behind only after being asked/invited to.

Thoughts?