FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:01 pm
nexusCFX

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mk712
I'm looking into making a cash reservation and using a Club Upgrade certificate but I've never done this before. I've done my research but most of the information out there is from years ago and some is clearly outdated.

Supposedly you can check for rates online but you have to call to make the actual booking, is that still the case?

Apparently there are two codes that can be checked online: the Z34 rate only allows for the $100 stay credit and the Z38 rate that allows for both Club Level upgrades AND the $100 stay credit, do I have that right?

For the dates I'm interested in, the Z34 rate is only about $10 a night more expensive than the Member Rate but the Z38 rate shows as unavailable, does that mean I'm out of luck? I saw reports from May 2016 that no one could pull up the Z38 rate online anymore, is that still the case? My trip is almost 3 months away and there are still Club Lounge rooms available, so I'd be surprised if upgrades can't be used.

Eventually I'll probably have to call either way, I just wanted to do my homework beforehand.
You are correct that you can not check for the Z38 rate online. Just use Z34 as a proxy for availability and then call to book and be very clear that you want the Z38 rate with the club upgrade and $100 credit.

I have also booked Z34 myself and then called to change to Z38 in the past, but Marriott's reps are so incompetent that I've had them change it instantly on one occasion and take half an hour on another, so I wouldn't go that route.

Also, most likely after your booking is done, the website will have the banner saying you need to order certificates. @Starwood Lurker has confirmed to me that this is not an issue when I emailed about it. In true Marriott fashion, if you click "deduct points" it will bring you to a page where it will try to attach a different club certificate and return the currently attached one, and when you click submit the site will error out.

Since this is a very niche feature and it was not brought to the SPG Luxury card with the recent changes, I suspect Marriott will never fix this or make the club upgrade rate searchable or bookable online.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jan 29, 2019 at 8:09 pm