FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:22 pm
nomad420

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111

That's intentional... Until you become 3-4x more valuable as a customer.
OK so 1K for years and just got the GS invite (first time). I spent last week booking several flights, shifing RPU/GPU around, and make a couple of flight changes. The invite came relatively late so I had already booked several flights with AS and will let those stand for now. I had previously posted (multiple times) at my frustration with UA much like mc1263 so finally began to make the move to AS. The recent GS invite MAY be a game changer but the jury is still out for me. NONE of the flights I booked including one international had PN space for an immediate upgrade. I am wait-listed on ALL bookings for upgrades with instruments and none of course have cleared as of today. No CPUs but haven't flown on UA as a GS yet and actually won't for a month because of the AS flights. I had said I will report back as to how things go. But I would say reading the GS wiki's I see a lot of the same complaints on that side of the fence so to say. They also recently had some rule changes (last Dec) that cut into the GS benefits. I won't go into them here but you can look at the GS benefit thread and see what I am referring to. I must admit I will intentionally ramp up my UA spend this year if for no other reason than to take advantage of the GS status while I have it. But for now, as I said the jury is still out.