FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:37 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder if they ever 'random' flight crew at the gate?

A while back an FA got 'randomed'. Can't remember the airports, but it made the news because she ran off. Yes, ran away. Her rollaboard was filled with drugs. They did eventually catch up to her a few days later.

I didn't follow the case, so I don't know if they looked into whether or not this was her first run. If she hadn't been 'randomed', she would have boarded and flown with a suitcase full of hard drugs. If TSA were doing random gate checks, would they have checked her bag?

I seriously doubt it. I have never seen crew stopped during TSA gate checks, and generally first class boards unchallenged.
Usually the crew has already boarded the aircraft before a gate check commences.

I don't condone illegal drug use or trafficking but think the last thing TSA should be doing is getting involved in any law enforcement activities, during a gate check or any other time and place. It's not their job and we have plenty of other resources to engage in those activities.