FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:18 am
lkar

Originally Posted by LapLap
Ikar, I never booked intercity travel in Japan whilst I was in a wheelchair, and I’ve not needed a chair for over ten years.
All I can say from that time is that the services I received were excellent, but very hands on and a little “faffy” and laborious on the part of the employees who had to deliver it. Everything took longer to do and get done than when not using a wheelchair.
I just saw this recent blog post which illustrates what I mean (little seems to have changed)
Shinkansen & Japan Rail Pass as a wheelchair user Little Miss Turtle
The part I’m referring to is where the blogger goes to a JR service center to reserve a place and the procedure takes 40 mins as phone calls need to be made.
That’s a great blog. Thank you. I know exactly what you’re talking about and we have run into it all over the world. We just try to keep a good attitude. Rare you meet someone who isn’t trying to do what they think is most helpful.

I found a Shinkansen ticket vendor online who will buy the tickets 30 days in advance and deliver them to your hotel and say they usually can get wheelchair tickets if flexible about time. They charge a small mark up. Looks like it is easier on Nozomi than the pass eligible trains just like jib71 mentioned above.

Thanks all.

Last edited by lkar; Jan 29, 2019 at 6:30 am