FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Availability of Business or First Class Awards
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:29 am
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by gdam22
I searched extensively for January 2018 availability from 360+ days out and every day following. No spot ever opened up the entire time except for Premium Economy on Qantas. There was never any released to Alaska. I complained to Alaska, but fell on deaf ears.

Their Europe connections are just frankly subpar right now. After losing Delta/Air/France/KLM, it's not at an acceptable level. They need a legitimate European partner.(BA is OK, but massive fuel surcharges).

They do have competitive amounts available for Asia from JAL/Cathay/Korean Air/American, etc. (hopefully Singapore will be added sometime, although they've been slow here too).

All this said, I've basically switched over to Chase Sapphire for most of my reward spending, because although Alaska advertises like it's easy to get award flights, the reality is, it's not.
What you do (or at least, what I've done) is book with someone else on the outbound leg and then use AS for BA on the return with a non-UK origin.