FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:19 pm
threeoh

Originally Posted by LA75
On a trip to Ethiopia, my husband had to be hospitalized in Addis Ababa and then air-ambulanced to Nairobi. We returned from Nairobi on Delta as the insurance company said they could not get a flight from Nairobi to LAX using the original ticket. Can we apply the unused portion of our original ticket on a new ticket to Ethiopia? When would we have to book the new flights and how long do we have to travel on the reissued tickets? We flew business class and I was told we could get a waiver for the change fees due to medical reasons. Is this correct?
I'm assuming you have a United Airlines ticket (starts with 016). You should be able to use your ticket to go anywhere within a year from when the tickets were purchased. The process is that you pay the change fee when you rebook on the new flights, and then submit a refund request for the change fee with your documentation.

If your husband is not medically able to fly for the full year, you should be able to get a refund on the unused amount left on the ticket.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ds/refund.aspx -> Click the "Refund Policy" tab -> click "Refund request for nonrefundable tickets — unplanned event" section