FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Review of Canadian Amex Plat
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:11 am
Clipper801

The current Amex offer to spend $900 on hotel and car rental to receive $300 statement credit is a good deal if one is able to use it. IIRC there was at least one similar promotion last year.
I wonder if Amex is trying to appease the Plat cardholders of the change in policy by bringing out these types of promotion as I couldn't recall similar promotions in the recent past.
Admittedly, these promotions are not as flexible to use as the Travel Credit.
I think Amex should have offered a one time "partial" credit in January to compensate for all existing Plat cardholders having to wait until their anniversary date to receive their Travel Credit.
If every existing Plat cardholder gets one-time $100 as a bridge to anniversary date, it would probably be better received.
Alternatively, Amex could start in going forward, pro-rate the Travel Credit on the 1st year of membership. If one applies in November, that person would only get 1/12 of $200. That person would get $200 in January. If the card is cancelled before Dec. 31, it will be subject to a pro-rated chargeback if the Travel Credit is used.
IIRC my anniversary date is March, so I am not as badly affected. Amex is essentially crawling back the 3 months in my 1st year.
I think the Plat card still has a lot of good features for an effective $499 fee although it is definitely NOT as good as a few years ago. For example, some bank credit cards now carry much better insurance package than the one that comes with the Plat card.
I support the new policy but it has been very badly managed/handled by Amex.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 28, 2019 at 2:07 pm