FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:05 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Don't disagree with the hotel review but I think you are a tad bit harsh on Northstar. To be fair this was a very busy weekend due to several factors - good weather and road conditions (which was not the case earlier in the month) and spectacular snow conditions, which we did not see last season. There is a lot of pent up demand and many people buy the season passes now lowering their marginal cost for another day. So Saturdays will be busy this year. I know we have grade inflation in Tahoe compared to Aspen/Vail, particularly on some black runs which might be harder blues in Colorado or Utah. But Northstar has many advanced runs, particularly on lookout mountain and a few down the backside. I know a lot of expert skiers who have season passes, so it isn't just fun for low intermediates and plenty of variety to explore over a long weekend. That being said if you are a really good skier it is hard to top Squaw on a sunny powder day, but those are not easy to predict when booking in advance. Northstar is known as a family resort and obviously not nearly the size of Vail/Beaver Creek, or Aspen/Snowmass, or Park City/Deer Valley.

As for kids there is an ice skating rink in the village as well as smores at the end of the day but yes, don't come to northstar if your kids don't plan to ski. There is a daycare near the golf course for very young children but it costs almost as much as lessons.