FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earliest check-in time at HKG and booking class questions
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:00 am
kaka
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Interesting tips/info... I usually do keep the card until I return. When I ask to add fare to it for AE, the agents always tell me it's better to turn it in (HK$50 refund) is given then I purchase new RT AE 3-day MTA pass. When I'm there beyond 3 days, I just add more fare on it. I've been told that I need to keep that card as it's my AE return. That's why I actually only "recycle" it with AE and not in the bin I see others tossing their cards in upon exiting AE at HKIA.

ps. I'll actually have to "do the math" to see which option better suits me. It always seems (to me) that having the 3 days of unlimited use of the MTA, I'm "all over the place" when I have free time from work obligations. I often just find myself riding a train to the end of the line and exploring the area there. Or I get off at some random stop, walk around from that stop to maybe maybe 2-3 stops away before returning to MTA.
250/350 with 1 or 2 way AEx. $50 deposit.
so it would be 125hkd (1way) or 165 (2way) residual credit for you to break even if one buy the AEx ticket on klook (which is 75/135 respectively for the most expensive 1way/2way) for 3 consecutive days.
that's some 10-15 (OW) trips across the harbour, or more shorter trips (cheapest is just under 5hkd) , or less longer trips (the most extreme case should be chai wan to disneyland/tung chung/shatin race course/tuen mun - yuen long corridor at 26-30hkd each*, so 3-5 OW trips).
so if you're not planning to go to those * stations, you are probably still looking at taking 7-8 long/cross harbour trips at the minimum plus a few short trips.
If you have planned so that you will not cross the harbour and will not go to the far places (or that you know you will take a lot of busses) then the pass is a waste of time. However, if you're already stayin at Chai Wan (There's a youth hostel, just saying) and you're planning to go to the end of every metro line....

I'd say if you're staying on HK Island and are planning to cross the harbour every day, or staying in kowloon and keep traveling to the far end, then feel free to get the pass - it would save you the stress anyways. If all your travels will be around the city, dont bother. (remember having long trips also mean it will take you more time to get back)