FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bank of America Alaska Airlines card
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:41 am
StartinSanDiego
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by pdragn78
Now that I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, I notice I'm not longer using the Alaska Airlines credit card regularly. I have this card primarily for the baggage fee credit and the annual companion ticket. Is there a risk of having this card cancelled by issuer for non-use? I could make some small purchases <$100 a couple times a year, but is that necessary? Are there any data points for cancellation due to non-use? I would hope not since this card charges an annual fee- more incentive for issuer to keep credit line open. Any thoughts?
Yes, BoA will close an account for non usage. However, I'm not sure what the dormancy threshold is. My data point may be of limited value to the average cardholder: Ours was our very oldest credit card, (originally an MBNA card from waaaayyyy back) and hadn't been used in a couple of years. When I applied for my first Alaska card, BoA responded by closing my old card and issuing an Alaska card. Luckily, I was able to reopen the legacy card through begging and with a hard pull. I use it a few times a year without fail ever since. Having a decades old credit line is helpful to my credit history, even though the rewards structure of the card is dreadful for my purposes.

Lesson learned... use your old cards prior to new applications. Any charge of any size will keep them active.