FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding CX Tier System
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:02 pm
ricktoronto

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Understanding CX Tier System

Of particular confusion is this term on the CX site: "Upgrades occur as soon as you accrue enough club points to enter next tier threshold within a membership year. As multiple tier upgrades are not allowed, you can only progress one club tier at a time."

I am looking at a specific example for clarity. Fly YYZ-BKK via HKG in D/I Business Class. Each R/T = 260 points. This happens in one year to keep it simple.
After one trip (or by simply enrolling by paying $100) = Green @260 points
After two trips total points are 520 which is over 300 so change to Silver. Do I have 220 towards Gold? Or do I start at 0 (losing 520 cumulative points or 220 points more than the required 300)?
After three trips total points are 780 which is over 600 = Gold (or did I lose again?)
After 5 trips points are 1,300 which is over 1,200 = Diamond unless these transitions are losing unused points each tier change.

The basic question is whether there is something lost at each transition point or if credit is retained of the excess not needed at the transition point, e.g. 520 vs. 300 for Silver, do I keep the 220 excess towards Gold? Ditto Reset at Gold, do I have 0 to start and need to earn the whole 600 or do I have 780, etc.

Another way of asking is if to get to Diamond I need to earn 300+600+1200 after each tier change for a total of 2,100 points in a year or if I need to achieve these levels taking into account what's been flown so far. If the former is the case earning 520 after 2 trips to only use 300 and lose 220 more is a kick in the pants.