FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T-shirt on a UA flight yesterday
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:58 pm
porciuscato

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by 757FO
The idea of, "well if United can't fix it's WIFI, what else can't they fix" also may enter someones mind. I realize some of you may laugh at this, and think perhaps this is a stretch...
Actually it's not a stretch at all. In fact, even without the t-shirts, I find myself wondering exactly that. If United can't get wifi to work, operates their aircraft with floors and seats that are disgustingly filthy, and has seats and lavs that are often inoperable, can they really be trusted to fly an aircraft safely? Maybe, just maybe, they apply a much greater level of care to the things that really matter (like engine maintenance).

But, it's kind of like going to a mechanic and seeing their shop floor with random tools and parts scattered everywhere. Do you really want to trust that guy to fix your brakes correctly? When somebody like that says: "Don't worry we'll get the important things right," I tend to be skeptical. I prefer the mechanic, the doctor, and the airline, who demonstrates organization, diligence, and care with every detail -- not just the "important stuff."

So yeah, if I didn't think that the FAA was really vigilant in enforcing maintenance and other safety standards., I would never set foot on a United plane. If I could persuade you to convey one thing to management, it would be that United's failure to exhibit diligence and care in so many areas (like wifi and general cleanliness) makes a lot of us wonder if they really can run an airline safely.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jan 26, 2019 at 2:06 pm