FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:07 am
glocklt4

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Unfortunately my mom (only 65) is in a similar scenario suddenly. She has an aggressive adrenal cancer that we thought chemo would help with, but it has already spread quickly. It is unlikely that she will get to travel very far again or live very long at this point. She has 1M AA miles currently and we are hoping that AA will allow us to transfer them to my father when she passes. Thanks to many on here and other forums over the years, we've been lucky to help them see much of the world that they wouldn't have otherwise, so we are thankful.

Is it pretty much 100% certain that AA will let us transfer as long as her will states her wish to do so? The wording says "American Airlines, in its sole discretion", but I don't know if anyone has been denied with a legit case and documentation. With 1M AA at stake, we certainly do not want to take a chance. Most of the family is not in a position right now to book a bunch of travel to use them up before something happens to her.

Thanks.