FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The beginning of the end of travel rewards?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:41 am
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by joer1212
I don't mean to sound spoiled, but the game is vastly worse now. It can be proven with simple grade school arithmetic. The numbers just don't add up like before.
Actually, the rules change, but the game remains the same. However, I see it as the middle of the end is near rather than the beginning as we move into the third year of revenue based mileage earning. There are still sweet spots to be had, but the alliances and partnerships seem to be withering which is one reason for the rise in value of the cash back cards and use of alternative airline programs. For example, AS still is a viable alternative to the US3 in terms of miles earning and burning given the plethora of partners they have. But as with all things, it depends on what you like and how you travel. One positive I've found is the increased use of other airlines for my travel, well, OK BA is worse than AA. And making do with PE vs hoping for that UPG to J. For those that can do long range planning and have flexibility of travel wants vs needs, award space still appears to be adequate, but not great,, and the use of repositioning to take advantage of low business class fares, i.e. ex-China for international travel which also keeps a lid on the US3's TPAC fares. For example, looking at my 2019 travel, I am using AA ex PEK for a decent I fare to the US which earns well on AS's program, And the differential between coach vx PE is shrinking ex-China as well, with my Sept trip showing $787 for PE vs $500 for coach and little immediate UPG space on AA.