FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The beginning of the end of travel rewards?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:40 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by joer1212
People need to wake up and realize they're in denial about how badly this hobby has deteriorated.

Several years ago, I was able to churn cards with impunity, earning about a quarter of a million free miles and points with each application round. By contrast, my app-o-rama last night consisted of 7 credit card applications, Only one of them was approved (with an annual fee not waived the 1st year, which was never a thing before). Total miles earned? 50k.

I don't mean to sound spoiled, but the game is vastly worse now. It can be proven with simple grade school arithmetic. The numbers just don't add up like before.
Things have not deteriorated significantly those of us who have always earned the bulk of our miles by flying, In fact they've improved for business travelers who are now rewarded for the high fares they pay for unrestricted economy and business class tickets. And the signup bonuses have now become quite generous for new customers who plan to keep their affinity cards.

As for churners I won't miss them - more awards to go around for everyone else including the road warriors for whom the programmes were originally designed.