FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iceland, Spain & Morocco via IcelandAir Business Class & British Airways First Class
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:37 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Qantas Business Class Lounge
Heathrow Terminal 3

We ended up taking the London Underground subway to get to Heathrow Terminal 3 airport today. Although it was direct and convenient, it reminded me why we took a Blacklane car from Gatwick. We navigated three sets of stairs down to the Piccadilly Circus station past the Frank Pick memorial montage; he was an early designer of the London Underground. Once on board, it was about 50 minutes to London Heathrow’s Terminal 3.

Before we knew it, we were at our usual Heathrow Terminal #3 navigating the throngs of smokers outside.

Unfortunately, the British Airways flight to Vancouver departs from Terminal 3. As a result, we didn’t get access to a beautiful check in area or other fancy lobby areas. The Terminal 3 British Airways First Class counter which is a small area of 3 check in stations at LHR Terminal 3. On arrival, we had our seat assignments confirmed and given directions to the first class lounge.

We located the fast track which was a rather dignified way to depart Heathrow – unlike the dismal invasive process that Heathrow security usually is.

We stocked up on duty free and headed for Qantas lounge. There is a whole litany of lounges available in Terminal 3, although it’s pretty easy to find the various options.

I dropped MrsWT73 off at her First Elemis Spa appointment at the British Airways which I had booked 28 days in advance. Despite booking right at the opening window, I was unable to get a time for myself within 3 hours of our flight. The earliest appointment I was able to get for myself was within 4 hours of our departure time, making ultimately “You First” more of an inconvenience than a benefit. MrsWT73 lucked out with availability for her treatment within 2.5 hrs of travel. It was dead quiet at the facility despite no appointment availabilities but no body actually there. I went over to QF lounge with MrsWT73’ 3 carry on’s and my 2 carry on’s.

A pleasant lounge dragon confirmed our entry and provided me with a quick tour after I indicated I had not been here before. The Qantas Lounge is fairly new and assumed the space previously occupied by the Air Canada / SAS Lounge before they vacated the location when they moved over to Heathrow Terminal Two under the Star Alliance "Move under One Roof" initiative. Qantas has done a great job with the space with a modern contemporary look. I started on the ground floor where the mixologist’s bar was situated under the open staircase.

I led myself self upstairs where most of the seating was occupied. The place was deserted at the time of my visit.

There was also a wine bar upstairs, that accented the space in a circular shape.

The back room of the upstairs has small snacks available for self service.

One of the great features of this lounge are the speciality Gin and Tonics inspired by Neil Perry's Rockpool restaurants in Australia. I ended up having a botanist gin & tonic with aperol spritz ice cube served in a proper glass.

It was so good, I actually had another one. It was the first time in about 48 hours that I was starting to feel a bit normal. It was nice to sit down in an empty space with very view people around. With just one Qantas flight to Dubai leaving this afternoon, the lounge was near empty and a great place to spend some time along with interesting Gin and Tonics.

Ultimately, the Qantas lounge was an awesome space, tastefully decorated. It was easily one of the better lounges in Terminal 3 and a welcomed stop. My time here was too short, when it was time to leave, I bid goodbye to the pleasant dragon. He indicated that in the evening around 6 – 9 pm that there could by upwards of 400 people in the lounge. Yikes!!