FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:48 pm
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by deltaflyer256
Just wanted to add on the overall frustration with 4x points at US Restaurants not posting correctly. I had three fairly large charges in a billing cycle at merchants that show up as "Category: Restaurant - Restaurant" in the Amex system. After 4 rounds of phone tag with Amex, they gave me points on two of the three, saying that the 3rd was a bar (they serve food and code as a restaurant in Amex IT, so what gives?). The phone rep gave me a vague definition of what would code as a restaurant.

This seems like a tremendous failure by Amex management to understand the target market for the card. Coming in with 4x points was a clear shot at customers who use the Chase Sapphire Reserve heavily. But Chase never has any such issues of merchants not coding correctly for bonus categories. Very disappointing on the part of Amex. This along with the value destruction on business platinum (wework, seriously??) has me moving the bulk of my spend away from Amex for the foreseeable future.
I know. I wouldn't mind getting WeWork if it didn't significantly increase the AF of the card. I honestly don't understand what AMEX is planning to do. I think the card is fine for what it is. WeWork isn't going to benefit a lot of people and yet they're going to be forced to pay for the increased AF starting next month. Ridiculous.