FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3 A321LR for SAS from H1 2020
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:46 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751
I'd be schocked if that happens. Why fly a route with no feeder traffic? I doubt one would fill the machines with only local pax, and feeding people to GOT or HEL just seems to be working against the current. I think secondary stations would benefit more from more frequent feeding into CPH than froma direct odd long haul route that most people just use a couple of years or so. Now I regularly choose to connect in MUC or FRA, because even if SK has flights to my destination, they are impossible to make with existing feeders, or they equire too much waste time waiting for the connection.

I'd rather optimize the general reach of the network, and the average travel time over my year, rather than the single odd time when I need EWR from my secondary airport of origin. So I would rather do like KLM and LH do: give me more feeders, also early morning and late night into a hub, and get me from that hub to more US cities directly. I think this is a model that is proven to work. Of course if you fly EWR weekly, and you don't need to suffer a feeder on UA/AA after that, your perspective differs.
it was mainly a thought experiment, how to make a HEL run work from an aircraft utilisation perspective. I have not serious belief that they are going to do it. I am not sure what the range potential of the A321LR is, and whether SK wouold be limited to east cost cities or the could reach further in to the US. They should probably lean towards opening additional cities, but I don't really see an obvious east city candidate for SK. Unless down sizing Boston, but that is not an additional city.