FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:22 am
nomad420

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sgopal2
Some more data and analysis to share. Looks like the mean PQD spend for GS qualifiers is in the range of $56-61K. Since last year, the average PQD has risen by about $4K USD. See below:

Year: Mean PQD Spend (for GS Qualifiers only)
2015: $56,160
2016: $60,128
2017: $57,521
2018: $61,543

So based on the above, it appears that there is no absolute minimum spend. Since the mean PQD varies from year to year, UA is probably skimming off a fixed percentage of flyers from the top of their pool.

Some have postulated that a spend of $50K would guarantee GS status. There are many cases of people spending $50K+ in the spreadsheets who do not get invited to GS. It appears to be driven by high PQD spend, as well as most of that being on UA metal. The 3 year running average is important only after getting your first GS invite.

Links to the last 4 years of data collection are provided below:
Not to make light of your data and very informative post but I clearly fall outside of every of the above data points. Also, although I have never been GS I have to believe they looked at my 3-4 year spend which had trended down recently and perhaps felt throwing me a bone of GS status would keep me loyal. Look obviously I can't be certain of anything regarding how they dish out the invites but my case I guess would demonstrate that "it appears that there is no absolute minimum spend" is indeed true.