FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:52 am
halifaxtraveler

YYZ overnight layover with checked baggage?

Hi everyone,

I'll have a upcoming trip to YYC Calgary from YHZ Halifax coming up in March with a overnight layover in YYZ Toronto. Ideally I would preferred to not have a overnight layover in YYZ but the tickets was booked via Aeroplan as a fixed mileage business class ticket for both myself and my wife and there was no other options available at the time of bookings for the dates we wanted when we booked our tickets as it will be the start of March break for Nova Scotia.

I have traveled before with a overnight layover in YYZ before but have always been required to pickup our bags in YYZ before going onto our hotel for the night.

Now after imputing my booking details into the Air Canada mobile app for this trip in March, it says Layover in Toronto Pearson YYZ 10h 54m You do not need to collect your bags.

It was understanding I would have to pick up my bags as they don’t hold bags overnight in YYZ, or have the rules since been relaxed? If this info in the app is correct, it will be great because it save us a hour waiting for our bags in YYZ as we will be traveling with a fair bit of luggage including ski bags and will mean we can go right to our hotel with hand luggage only.

I would be grateful for your input on this because when I called Air Canada they were not very helpful and told me to talk to the check-in counter in Halifax on the day of departure as they could not answer my question over the phone.

I also have another question if my flight was to be cancelled due to weather, it happened to me last year!! would I have to call Air Canada to re-book my flights or would I have call Aeroplan?

Also what are your thoughts on Air Canada On My Way, because I can add it to my booking for a extra 40.25 per person for the the flight to Calgary, and is there any real benefit to me by adding this?

Thoughts please?

Thanks

Last edited by halifaxtraveler; Jan 24, 2019 at 11:10 am