FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheap restaurant / eat-in fastfood chain - rating/opinion
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:02 am
kaka
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
It’s nearly twice the price in Hong Kong, isn’t it? The mackerel set is 98HKD (currently 1,370yen). In Japan it is 800yen.

Coco Ichibanya has just opened in London. With basic (non meal set) menu items starting at £10 (1,430yen) and most of the offerings priced at around £13 (1,900yen), that’s going to affect people’s perceptions of Coco’s as belonging in the fast food category.
My daughter is interested in going, but I’ll hold off and let her try Coco’s in Tokyo.
yes. but 800 yen equiv in HK (60HKD) you're looking at half a notch up the basic fastfood places (or 1 dish at a chachanteng style place for dinner), esp rent in HK is quite a bit higher than most parts of Japan.
now for things in london, yes, I've only had japanese food at Misato back in student days (Hare and Tortoise and Wagamama is too fake to call Japanese, obviously). I've had ramen and some bento stuff in the City because of my mates since but that's a totally different price point.

Originally Posted by LapLap
I dread to think what that would set you back in London. I guess Coco’s are relying on a central location on the tourist circuit to snare customers. Then again, dining out is expensive here and the price is in line with similar establishments (eg Tombo in South Kensington & Soho). But it is a little hard to justify a visit when a popular and prolific British chain (Wasabi) offers chicken katsu curry and rice for £6.29.
Hard to beat pie and mash for volume and value, I agree. It’s a dwindling tradition though.
I've just had a look at Tombo - wow, I'm surprised it's at where it is now (it's on the way of my daily commute for 3 years). Not surprised in this time and day but I wouldn't have expected there's a Japanese shop non-Wasabi there 10 years back.