FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:42 pm
rwm818

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
50 best just has some nuts things in there for me, Gaggan at no.5 I cannot understand - and I liked it and thought it was fun - but no way top ten or perhaps even top 30 material for me. Actually the place oppposite Gaggan, Gaa, I think could give it a run for its money as it has improved a lot recently.

We did Gaa last night, and going to Gaggan tonight (for the 2nd time - wanted to hit it again before he closes in BKK)....we had a very enjoyable dinner at Gaa. Solid tasting menu with some interesting dishes.

Will just mention 1 thing here - dining with my wife & in-laws, as mentioned overall the meal was great...but we did have 2 incidents that kind of took me by surprise, and especially at the lack of response by the restaurant. Wanted to see what folks here think/would have done (if anything)?

Everything was going along nicely, and then on ~course 7 (the flatbread dish, if anyone has eaten here recently), the 2 servers arrived at the table with 2 dishes each, and as the one server went to place the dish to my wife, he let the 2nd dish tilt and the flatbread slide off, hit my FiL's sleeve and went to the floor. They immediately apologized, of course, and quickly cleaned, and re-served the dish (they both went back to the kitchen and returned with the dishes). As I said, it did catch me by surprise, an unusual occurrence (for me at least) at a M* restaurant, but accidents do happen.

Well not 15-20 min later, as they served the "main" course (the roasted jackfruit dish), with all the accompanying small condiment bowls, the server (not the same one) was moving my wife's wine & water glasses, and upended the water glass on the table (at least it wasn't the wine!) and it spilled down into her lap. Wow, now we were quite surprised. One server accompanied my wife as she went to the washroom, and they tidied up the table.

Here's the thing - after that, and the initial apologies, not 1 word was said further. And especially the maitre'd/sommelier (the guy seemed the be the head of service?) never came to the table again - until he presented the bill.

Now I wasn't really expecting anything more than a quick check on us, and maybe once again apology. But to not have one word said, well just struck us as interesting. As far as we could tell there were no other incidents for any other diners, so I'm sure it's not a normal occurrence.
Again, no harm was done, no clothes soiled or ruined, but the lack of acknowledgement seemed off?