FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Review: Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui, Thailand
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:23 am
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Aventine
I think I would have left at that point unless some major apologies and service recovery were coming my way. Should never happen. Atrocious for what that resort charges and how they see themselves as market leaders.
Indeed - that was the worst bit. A true luxury resort would have ensured housekeeping wouldn't walk in at all as she was showering, but it happened, despite the multiple points during the past hour when it could have easily been prevented - but okay, understandable. However, surely at that point housekeeping should never ask "is it okay if we clean the room now?"

Originally Posted by Lambi
I just think it's way too expensive for the destination / area. Doesn't feel justified at all!
Yea especially the top resorts in Samui charge as much/nearly as much as Phuket's top resorts, without delivering anywhere near the quality and overall experience.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
do any/some treat industry guests 'worse' ?
unfortunate when things have gone downhill
​​​​​​​
That would definitely be an industry first!

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have never liked this resort. For some reason, no matter who is in charge, the food, service and comfort levels fall short of expectations.

Interestingly, this was Bill Bensley's first resort design, so there are some real quirks. The rooms are all modular, so even if you stay in a residence, the bedrooms are tiny, and although there is a reasonable amount of outdoor space, the interior spaces are cramped.

I don't know if they fixed this yet, but when I stayed, there was no door on the toilet, so you had to close the drapes at the window so that the pool man (or anyone else on your pool terrace) could not see you.

I also have a problem with the super-steep incline of the resort, as although you can walk to the beach, trying to negotiate the hill up to reception/restaurant is virtually impossible, so you are forced to call for a buggy.

This resort is owned by Bill Heinecke of Minor (Anantara etc) and I guess that if he did not have a couple of Anantaras on the island, he would have rebranded the Four Seasons, as he did in Bangkok.
​​​​​​​
Still an issue (see my bath tub photo) - as you note, the toilet is just behind this.
Agree on the incline - it's very, very steep (though not as bad as Kata Rocks in Phuket) and you really need the buggy. And it's a large footprint so you can't really walk to places but I'm okay with that (see Amanoi also) - just have to account for it.
Regarding Anantara - surely they could charge slightly below current rates and rebrand it a top-level/luxury Anantara? The resort is still very nice, and far, far better than the other Anantaras on the island.

Originally Posted by ABG
Does this stay date back to June 2018 when you first posted negative reviews about the hotel?
You make it sound as if you went last weekend
​​​​​​​
My apologies, yes - it's from the June 2018 stay, now with photos/videos and more detailed comments.