FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Same-day earlier flight change possible for OWE?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:01 pm
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Are any of these instances in the last 2-3 years?

IME Cathay significantly changed operating procedure and this just doesn't happen like it used to. I cannot attest to BKK, but in the last few years at HKG, TPE, HND and SIN I have all been asked to upfare or wait it out. (This is in normal operations, aka no cancelled flights, oversold and CX needs help, etc. Etc. I would still expect them to waive in those situations and it will on lucky occasions benefit the person who wanted to change anyway). I've upfared at TPE a couple times and at HKG at least 5x, maybe more. I'm Cathay Diamond, OWE equivalent.

PEK and PVG are also exempt from this....you can always show up early and board.

3+ years ago, yes I agree you could just show up and they'd basically ignore your ticket conditions. But they are definitely hemming a much tighter line in recent years. If your fare requires an update or change fee, they ask for it in my recent experiences (except at PVG and PEK).

The fact the OP is OWE is irrelevant, regardless of what happens. My guess is he/she gets it without paying if CX needs help due to irrops or overselling. And no if not. They won't care about his/her status here.
Indeed.
Except when there are irrops on that day, CX is fairly strict with fare rules.