FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth chasing Platinum One?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:53 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seat_4D
A mate of mine is CL. Not because of flying, they do IT .... for QF.

Last flight out of DRW he was seated 7 rows behind me in 11. The CSM iPad was open as I boarded. It said 1 CL, 1 WP, some SG etc. I was the WP. My wife was in J as NB. J was empty other than my wife. I had my kids with me in row 4. If CL had a value would he not have been upgraded into the empty J cabin? 11 free seats and CL does not even get an exit!!

Love Qantas loyalty
If he had wanted to fly businss class, he could have purchased a business class ticket or used miles to upgrade. CL is not a free business class upgrade card afaik

I thought that CL was able to get exit rows without paying extra - I could be wrong though - but if they were not taken, I suspect he could have selected those for free if he wanted to

It would not make sense, imo, to just give free upgrades - great way of discouraging purchase of business class tickets

Originally Posted by warreng
I've had upgrades flying JAL, MH, BA, AA and even QR (!) as a WP. QF is the only OW airline that has never offered me a free upgrade. It's not like I expect free upgrades just for being WP but the complete absence of upgrades when other partner airlines seem to readily upgrade OWEs is a little odd, almost as though they know they'll get plenty of business from me anyway (and they're not necessarily wrong) so there's no point.
perhaps Qantas is better at managing its loads so as not to have to do so many involuntary upgrades

I suspect that the other uprades were due to oversell situations whre the airline was moving passengers to accommodate bookings , rather than a desire to throw free business class upgrades out