FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BR Flight Attendant Sexually Harassed by Gentleman with Disability
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:41 am
hayzel7773

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's a BIP ranking?

The guy was flying coach, so there's no evidence he's a big spender on EVA.

The man reportedly has a silver or gold card. That constitutes travel around 2-4 times a year on BR or a lot of *A carrier travel credited to IML. According to BR, he's flown over 20 times with them. He probably was not a big spender though. Ground staff report seeing him many times throughout the year because of the special wheelchair that they had to get him (he broke a regular wheelchair..the wheel cracked...because it could not take his weight).

BIP stands for blacklist passenger list. Whenever you fly with BR, your ranking in the system is updated if you create trouble. Notes may be made under your name and reports may be made by staff about your conduct. When your ranking drops to a certain level or when enough reports come in, your BIP ranking will be monitored by a team. When you are on the watchlist, the CP will be made aware of you and the crew will monitor closely as well during your travels. If your ranking continues to reflect the poor conduct that has previously been cited, you will be barred from travel on BR (there are very few people on this list). You will only find out upon ticketing or check-in when the system responds back "denied boarding" to the agent or your ETKT. Only in extreme cases if you cause a diversion will your ranking be ignored and you will immediately be barred (the HK celebrity that got knocked out by the captain is an example). In this scenario, it's clear that the reports were either never made or not taken seriously by receiving duty manager (I find it very hard to believe the airline would not notice this man considering a plane had to be pulled off the line so the seats could be replaced). The breakdown led to him not being put on the BIP watchlist and therefore, his conduct was not known to the crew.

This very scenario (minus the ... wiping) happened in 2009. It took BR two years to finally say enough and blacklist the pax. By that time, there was already a lot of grief over him because of the emotional abuse he brought upon the FAs. Crew were scared of flying with him and would call in sick when they saw his name (he was CG so they could see). Mgmt. at the time of the cabin crew div/pax mgmt. division was the current president Clay Sun and the president at the time was the current chairman Steve Lin. I cannot believe the company let the same thing play out again and it seems that no one learned their lesson then when they put dollars over crew.

I foresee a lot of lost bonuses because of this incident in the cabin crew management division as well as HR.

What I find ridiculous is the crew expected a phone call from the company on a Saturday or Sunday from someone high up. No one was working despite the incident because it was not big enough (at the time) to recall people to work. Even the spokesperson did not go back to office; all his statements were made over the phone. The duty manager that received the report processed the report like they normally do and that was it. They did contact her on Monday when they returned to work. The manager she called for time off was not authorized to give anything and she was instead told to go obtain a doctor's verification so the manager could have paperwork to back an alteration to her flight schedule first while HR processed the paperwork upon their return to work. She did not go till Monday after the press conference but said BR would not give time off. I am glad that she has now received three weeks off in addition to back pay, counseling services, assurance she will never fly with this pax again, and all her medical expenses are being covered by BR's insurance. I wish her well and hope that she will continue to fly!

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jan 22, 2019 at 2:58 pm