FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) Success or Gripes
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:20 am
bruinfan90

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Can anyone clarify this for me ...

As an MVP Gold, a few weeks ago, I successfully booked two tickets with confirmed U GGU space on a connecting flight back from Hawaii in July (to Dallas). I immediately applied my GGUs and secured confirmed first class seats.

This week, my 50 minute connection in Seattle was adjusted to a 35 minute connection (kind of odd, because the arrival time to Dallas did not change). That 35 minute connection time makes my tickets "invalid" (Alaska uses a minimum 40 minute connection time), requiring a re-booking. When I called Alaska customer sevice, the Agent told me that our 1st class confirmed upgrades will be lost unless we can find confirmed U space on another connection option (fat chance in the summer travel season!).

We already secured hotels and made other plans for this trip. We booked these dates specifically because we could use our GGUs on the flights to/from Hawaii. It just doesn't seem fair to me that Alaska won't protect our confirmed upgrades in the rebooking process, given that Alaska is completely responsible for the ticketing issue (via their flight schedule adjustments).

Is the agent I spoke to correct (that we are out of luck unless we can find other workable U space), or did I receive incorrect information?