FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Former SPG Hotels Leaving Marriott
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:56 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Hi, StarGuy, and good to see you’re still around!

I detect from this post and your MRI post referring to the leavers that ends with a smiley face, that you’re happy with this outcome, I assume because they’re signing up with Hyatt. Or perhaps that it demonstrates franchisees are as unhappy with Marriott as some SPGers, including you.

No doubt it does demonstrate some pushback by hotels against Marriotts new terms and the combined program, but in all likelihood many of these were probably leaving anyway, the industry experiences a constant churn of franchised properties deflagging, reflagging, moving brands and trying the unbranded route. It’s the natural outcome of the asset-light structure. Those with the hard assets move them between the different marketeers where they feel better returns are likely.

I don’t think a dozen or so hotels leaving a 6,700 property ecosphere is any sign of impending implosion, or the return of SPG as a separate rewards program.
Which hotels on the list are reflagging as Hyatts?