FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA 179 (EWR-HKG) 19 Jan 2019 diverted YYR , passengers stuck on board for 13 hours
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:36 pm
Mountain Explorer

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CUTiger06
We were on the plane as well seated in Y about 4 rows in front of the guy who seized and about 3 rows behind the offending door that caused the delay. Not sure what was happening in First/Business, but back in coach all 3 meals that had been on boarded in EWR had been served by 12am local time. That meant there was actually nothing available to us but snack bags between 12 and 9am when the Tim Hortons was brought on. If you happened to be asleep when they served the breakfast the time between meals was even longer.

Im willing to bet my experience in Y is vastly different from that of the guys in the front, but my experience was not that far off what was mentioned on CNN. The guy quoted was actually seated in the seat in front of me. Also pretty sure that the line about the door being frozen is not the whole truth based on what we saw and were told by the flight attendant seated next to it. This was sort of confirmed when we saw the parts the maintenance guys brought with them.

I spent over 24 hours in seat 35C, which had no working entertainment system. It was a rough day and based on what I saw/experienced the lack of concern United had was extremely disappointing. The flight crew was great and did the best they could, but you know it’s bad when the Captain starts telling passengers the email Oscar Munoz and post to social media in a bid to actually get some sort of rescue plan in motion. He had more faith in a viral campaign than he did in the company he represents. That says a lot on how he though things should have been handled vs they reality we endured.
They served breakfast before midnight? No working IFE is a big deal. People go a bit stircrazy staring at a blank tv. Obviously you mean 35F, not 35C. Edit: LOL You were talking seat number, not temperature. Oops

That account sounds quite awful. Definitely worse than I was imagining