FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time to Win: CX HKG Arrival Lounge Closing on 5 Nov 2018
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:13 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by synthkeys
I would hope that a full refresh of the concept is something that CX is planning as part of the rebuild going on at the airport. Just as CX really stepped out of the lane by building world class lounges, they should be looking to continue that in a proper arrivals lounge that imitates their departure offerings. But its hard to predict where CX is going, seems like they are trying to thread the needle of being both a premium and lower cost carrier. Time will tell.
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
What you said wasn't wrong. I believe that's the main purpose of the lounge - To let a small group of people to be well prepared before going to the city. I used the lounge every time I arrived at early mornings, from LHR, EWR, JFK, SYD, and etc. I usually use it when I arrive in the mornings, or in the afternoon or late night. Shower is a great way to refresh myself. When all the major OneWorld hubs offer arrivals lounge, I just think that HKG should keep it on to stay consistent, as CX is the founding airline of OneWorld. They kept it small because the lounge was not meant to sit down for hours and enjoy, but to refresh and get ready to go. I do understand the lounge like that without much expansion wouldn't be ideal considering all the long haul flights are needed. In addition, the ease of mobile data/internet access made it much easier for arriving passengers not to rely on the lounge. I used to go to other arrival lounges to get on internet, get in touch with people before taking off, but it looks like it is moot in modern travel experience.
My suspicion is they will do something once there is clarity on the spaces available with the HKIA. I think 4 years is a generous period of time...there will be more clarity within 18-24 months. Of course, then they'll have to build it so I'd say 2.5 years out is the absolute earliest we'd see a new arrival lounge if that's in the plans for CX, and probably more like 3 years.

Clearly CX doesn't see it being that important, and cynically I agree with them (as I stated above, The Arrival has been diminished for quite some time, and was never "wow" to begin with, but besides some whinging on here I don't think it cost them anything not having it, especially given the sore lack of competition at HKG). But I think if/when they do a rebuild, the recent lounge renovations are inspiring and would indicate we'll probably get something good. In line with the current lounge offerings with an abundance of quality showers, something like the noodle diner concepts they first rolled out in TPE and have since done Pier J, Deck, BKK, LHR, SIN, Shanghai under renovation, etc. I'm pessimistic about certain aspects of CX, but for new lounge renovations I'm not.

Maybe djsflynn or SinoBritAsia have heard something, they usually get this type of info before we're aware of it.