FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:06 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Stayed here recently. Overall quite enjoyed it.

I'm not sure what is going on with the SNAs but when I put in my request, all suite types up to 2-bedroom were available for selection. I think that might be an error in the new Marriott booking system as I don't think that was the case using SNAs on the old SPG site?

My SNA initially cleared to a 2-bedroom suite (saw the room type on my booking) but at some point after clearing and before the stay they changed it to a standard Metropolitan suite, which very much annoyed me since I had specifically not requested the SNA for that room type. If we still had SPG customer service I would raise the issue and get the SNA back, but I have 0% confidence that Marriott customer service will ever correct the issue.

But, if the larger list of SNA room types is still showing, just a caution for anyone else who might be trying something similar to what I did.

But beyond that, I did like the hotel a lot and would return. The suite was still quite nice; not much of a view but that wasn't too big of a problem. Nice big bathroom plus an extra half bath. And breakfast was outstanding, with lots of variety and great quality (it was IMO the best hotel breakfast of this trip, which also included the W Maldives, Marina Bay Sands and R-C HKG) and a few options for made-to-order dishes. Only thing I can think of that might have been improved at breakfast was that I don't think sparkling wine was available at the buffet as you sometimes see.

Just a note on the Platinum laundry benefit: it is still offered, 4 pieces per person, which was very nice to have in the midst of a long trip and was one reason I chose this property in BKK. Timing of the service is that pieces must be sent in by 7pm and are returned the next day by 2pm, so depending on your arrival/departure times you may not be able to use it on your first and/or last night; keep that in mind if you're hoping to take advantage.

As others have reported, they also offer an evening cocktail for Platinum members; the selection of drinks was IMO very good. A small canape is included, but to be clear it's definitely just a small snack.

I thought the location was very good; having the SkyTrain station attached to the hotel was very convenient, especially since even a short walk can get sweaty quickly in BKK. We had dinner at Gaggan, which a) was very good and I would recommend; anyone else considering it should know that apparently it's never too early to book as we made our dinner reservation about 11 months in advance; and b) it's very close to the hotel but Google Maps makes it look like you have to walk 15 minutes around the block to get there; fortunately the concierge can show you the walking route that gets through to the restaurant much more quickly.

Finally, FYI, I booked on my company's rate and was asked for a business card or ID at check-in. Just for those who may be considering doing something similar but perhaps not quite as legitimately...

Last edited by bgriff; Jan 22, 2019 at 6:09 am