FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vueling Barcelona to Seville Spain
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:04 am
craigthemif
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm looking at EAS-PMI via BCN for $112 each one way on an IB code share operated by Vueling, (4 hrs 10 minutes with an 2 hr 10 minute connection in BCN) vs. $207 each one way on Iberia (operated by Air Nostrom from EAS-MAD and Iberia Express MAD-PMI) (4 hrs 45 minutes with a 2hr 5 minute connection in MAD).

Both tickets include one carry-on and one checked bag. I was all set to go Vueling based on the shorter flight time but now that I read the Avoid Vueling thread, I'm having second thoughts.

Is booking the Vueling flight under the IB code share more of a probem in case of IRROPS? Or will I have more options (i.e., going through Madrid) in case of IRROPS if booked through Iberia. The IB codeshare is cheaper for the Optima ticket, but not the basic ticket (not offered on IB website). Given I want seat assignment, I don't think the Basic Vueling is an option.

Any other comments?
I would only fly Vueling direct. Connecting in BCN is probably as easy as connecting in MAD but 2 hours is a long time without lounge access (no Oneworld status is valid on Vueling), and it's far more likely that Vueling goes horribly wrong than IB and I shudder to think about how jammed Vueling desks at BCN would become if there are system-wide issues.

As for codeshares, under IRROPs it will be Vueling's responsibility to take care of you, no matter who issued your ticket. However if something happens in advance (schedule change, etc.), you might have better luck dealing with IB instead of Vueling directly.

I also tend to book my Vueling flights as IB codeshares whenever the pricing is neutral. You will be able to select a seat in the front half of the plane as an IB codeshare, but not row 1 or exit row IIRC - you would need to book via Vueling and pay extra for those seats.