FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me spend a few days in Sydney
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:45 am
ft101

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by TeddyR
If you use public transport at any point in your visit be aware that you may not need an Opal card - they claim the system now works with any contactless card such as a credit card. This should save you from sacrificing any unused credit if you were to buy an Opal card. [Can't post link but you will find it under 'Opal News'.]
I found the reference to contactless cards so that sounds good. Should I be looking out for Dynamic Currency Conversion here, or elsewhere in Australia, or is it all usually above board? I have fee free foreign currency cards I would hope to take advantage of.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Many visitors will buy a ferry trip just to enjoy the harbour . . . .
I like the sound of that, even if I don't stay on McMahon's Point. What ferry route would you recommend as there seems to be a lot of ferry options?

Originally Posted by number_6
A good hotel choice is the Adina on Crown St. in Surrey Hills, actually a serviced apartment as hotel doesn't have restaurants etc. but they have better (Bill's, a famous restaurant, is downstairs and does room service). That area is lively and filled with interesting shops and people, much nicer than the CBD, yet still easy walk to CBD and to Central (train) Station. Taxi from airport costs AUD 25 as it avoids traffic to CBD and doesn't need to use the toll road (train is about AUD 15 and you still have to get from train station).
This sounds like it might suit me well (although it took me a while to find the right Adina as there are a few). I'll hopefully be travelling quite light so walking is not a problem.