FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Tourist In North Korea
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:34 pm
DanielW

Originally Posted by Madone59
Wow DanielW. wow, wow, wow, wow. What a trip. What photos! What an opportunity.
Thank you for taking us along with you ^^
Many thanks, Madone59. I was a little worried with all the rhetoric and tensions that the DPRK would become off limits for visitors so glad to make it while I could.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I think this might be your best trip report I've read of yours. The pictures were absolutely amazing. I have been on a JSA tour (when I lived in South Korea years ago). Including the meeting room where you can technically step on the North Korean side.
Im not a fan of Korean food (except for a few items). I don't think I could bring myself to try the dog (I think they call it gaegogi). It used to be served in some South Korean restaurants (or at least it was when I was there).
Again, great report.
Thank you, HawaiiTrvlr. The JSA tour is a great experience, especially looking over to the DPRK soldiers on the other side. I think they have suspended JSA tours from the South for the last three months now though. The dog was probably a once off for me, although I do like kimchi with my barbecued beef and rice.
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Daniel I have to say this is one of the most amazing trip reports I have read on FT, Thank you !
Thanks, FlightNurse. It was great to get firsthand (but albeit very limited) insight into such an isolated country.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Without Question a high Quality trip-report. Nevertheless I agree with others that tourists seems to be part of a great staging. Also I canīt skip the fact that this tours are one of the ways a terrible criminal regime gets foreign currencies. I wouldnīt support them with one cent knowingly.
Thank you, offerendum. Yes, while on the tour it is hard not to think about the things they don't want you to see.
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Absolutely EPIC.
Daniel, you out did yourself in"extreme adventures"! Thanks for sharing.
Many thanks, allset2travel. Yes, such a fascinating and quirky place to visit!
Originally Posted by sl00001
Amazing trip report with amazing pictures Daniel. I have lived in Beijing for four years and always wanted to make the trip to North Korea, but never had the time and honestly the guts to do it. The closes I got to North Korea was when Kim visited Singapore last year and I was having brunch in the St Regis where he stayed.
Thank you, sl00001. There were quite a few people from Beijing and Shanghai visiting for the Mass Games. They do day tours over the bridge from Dandong too. Kim Jong-un must have been one of the more interesting guests at the St. Regis! I wonder how many reward points he and his entourage got for their stay.