FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NRT & 777 or HND & 787? in economy from SFO
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:50 pm
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1353513636
This is false. There are way more HND-NGO than NRT-NGO flights.
Absolutely not, NGO from Tokyo (either airport) by air is primarily for international connections, not domestic. Everyone domestic takes the Shinkansen train since it's under 2 hours downtown to downtown. You'd be correct to almost any other domestic flight in Japan, but not NGO due to the very short distance.

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Ah, good point. HND terminals are not next to each other so a ride on the shuttle bus is needed.

Yeah, no lounge for me, not when traveling with a 4 years old.

NRT tends to be messy around afternoon when all TPAC flights arrive from North America. HND on the other hand is less crowded due to the fact that it is a predominantly domestic terminal, and most international flights depart/arrive early morning or late night. Still, I will be traveling near the Obon holiday in mid-August, so that could be a nightmare for domestic airports though.
Actually during Obon, the domestic terminal in NRT will be far more pleasant than HND (or any other national holiday for that matter). While I despise the 77W on UA in Economy (whether E+ or E-), I think I'd rather this flight considering your destination of NGO rather than HND. The 787 is a much more comfortable plane despite the seat size being almost the same, but NRT for a domestic connection is so much more desirable.

Also, not sure when the last time you've came into Japan is from North America, but they've really streamlined the process for foreigners now. There are kiosks to do your photo and fingerprints now in a bank similar to the US, so it shaves off a significant amount of time at the actual counter of the immigration officer. Nothing has changed with customs unfortunately after you pick up your baggage, it's still a 100% check of your customs form, with periodic questioning and baggage search. We're one of the only advanced countries in the world who still won't implement a "Green Lane", so that one does get a bit backed up at peak times, but it's far far worse during peak arrivals at HND than NRT. Even the US has done away with that system now for the most part.