FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:48 am
threeoh

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Eeks. I am traveling from Krakow to SFO so Lufthansa seems to be my only option. It looks like LH has a flight to SFO from MUC that same day, which leaves after mine so would I be transferred to that if I missed my connection? Also noticed that UA has a later flight to SFO from FRA so assume I would be transferred to that if went via FRA and missed my connection?
Yes, if it's one ticket then your connection is protected and they will get you there, including putting you on a non-stop to your final if there's room and sufficient time before departure to process the change. LH/UA coordinate closely TATL so there shouldn't be any problem getting on either carrier in the case of a misconnect.

Or just do the longer connection and not stress?
People ask this on FT all the time but the answer is always the same -- what are the costs/benefits of each to you, personally, on this trip? Would an overnight in FRA kill you? Would you miss a wedding or important meeting? Do you have travel insurance / would the cost of hotels/transit in FRA be a burden? Would losing your seat assignment be a drag (seated with family, etc.)? Do you hate waking up at 3am? Would getting up at 3am ruin your final night in KRK? Do you have lounge access / do you mind long connections? Do short connections cause you stress? If travelling with others, would you mind splitting up if there are fewer than N seats?

If I don't have a time-sensitive obligation at my destination, I prefer a shorter connection, a small chance I'll get re-routed, and a smaller chance that I will stay overnight -- I would take it as an opportunity to explore Frankfurt, etc.

At other times, if my schedule is tight and losing a day would be a huge inconvenience, I'd take the 6 hour connection and hole up in a lounge with my laptop, and then not sweat when there is a 2 hour delay on my first leg.

Also did you look into KRK-WAW-[USA]-SFO connections or KRK-WAW-LHR-SFO via LOT/UA?