FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time to Win: CX HKG Arrival Lounge Closing on 5 Nov 2018
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:08 am
Frayed_Yak

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I don't think it's wishful thinking actually! Given all the construction we're going to see at HKIA the next 4 years (as part of the new runway addition there will be scores of changes, including an additional terminal and significant changes to the current T2 area), I think this is in the cards *once the dust has settled*. I frequently throw criticism CXs way, but in this case I think it's reasonable not to rebuild until the massive new airport expansions are in a finished state. But I do think they will.

​​​​​​
If the plan was to rebuild an arrivals lounge 4 years from now, then they might as well just concede closure of the lounge as a cost savings measure. It's hard to imagine CX couldn't come up with a plausible interim solution with their influence in government and the airport authority, if they really wanted to.

Meanwhile, for me, the arrivals lounge closure is one more thing to consider when deciding whether to choose CX. On my routes (Europe, SE Asia, North America, Japan and Australia), there is a lot of choice with OW.